Hey CrossFit 405ers in Norman and Midtown! We are back with another CrossFit 405 Healthy Recipe from Ore! This receipe is Paleo friendly, gluten free, and delicious!
Looking for a healthy breakfast that is full of flavor? These Banana Blueberry Protein Waffles will leave you satisfied without breaking the calorie bank. These waffles taste great, and reheat very well. Make a big batch during the weekend, and then during the week just grab a serving before you head out the door in the morning.
Banana and Blueberry Protein Waffles (Paleo and gluten-free)
1 medium banana (approximately 118-125 grams)
1 serving vanilla protein power (approximately 33-38 grams)
1/3 cup frozen blueberries
¼ cup tapioca flour*
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
*You can substitute tapioca flour with 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats. To substitute, process 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats in a food processer until the oats are ground into a coarse flour (approximately 1-2 minutes). This will yield approximately ¼ cup of oat flour.
- Preheat the waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the banana and blend until smooth. Add all of the remaining ingredients, other than the frozen blueberries, into the bowl of the food processor and process until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Once the waffle maker is ready, spray both sides of the waffle maker lightly with coconut oil (to avoid the batter sticking to the sides). Add half of the batter to the waffle maker. Sprinkle ½ of the frozen blueberries evenly over the top of the batter. Close the lid of the waffle maker and cook the waffles using the manufacturer’s instructions (my waffle maker only has one heat setting, and took 2-3 minutes to cook) until the waffles are golden and crispy.
- Repeat the process with the remaining half of the batter and the remaining half of the frozen blueberries.
- Serve with your favorite fruit and other toppings!
Approximate macros for (1) waffle (using 1 serving Progenex Tropical Vanilla Protein Powder and a 120 gram banana): 239 calories (3 grams of fat/ 39 grams of carbs /15 grams of protein).
Interested in Paleo, gluten free, or just plain delicious recipes? Follow Ore at her blog at https://bacon-wrappedbarbells.com/